How to Clean Paint Marker Nibs
If you find that your paint pen tips need to be cleaned, there are several steps to follow to achieve the best results and below, we’ve outlined the cleaning process involved with paint pens to help you with this.
By the end, you’ll be able to clean your paint pen tip and continue using them and avoid clogged paint. Happy days…let’s get started.
Supplies You Need to Get Started
- Paint thinner is fantastic for loosening paint inside your paint pens. However, warm water can be used as an alternative.
- A small bowl is needed to keep the liquids inside.
- Eye dropper
Cleaning Paint Marker Nibs
- Start by pouring paint thinner or warm water into a small bowl.
- Take the marker cap off of your pen and hold the pen tip in the bowl, making sure that it’s completely covered.
- Slowly move the pen nib around in the liquid until the clear water begins to become dirty. This is a sign that the clogged paint is coming out of the paint pen tip.
- Gently remove the marker tip and place it on a paper towel to make sure that any excess liquid is removed. You can also give it a shake to remove all of the liquid.
- This method works well to reactivate the ink inside your pen and make it last for longer so that you don’t have to continuously replace your pens.
- Test it on scrap paper and see if the colours look more vibrant again.
- You can repeat the steps if necessary.
Cleaning the Marker Cap
Cleaning the marker cap is another important aspect of having completely clean paint marker pens.
- Take off the cap and soak it in a small bowl of warm water.
- Take out the cap and rinse it with clean water until all of the ink inside has been removed.
Also read: Best Paint Markers
That wraps up our post on how to keep your paint marker pen tips clean. Be sure to follow the above steps carefully to ensure that you successfully clean your paint pens so that you can continue using them to create art.
We hope that the details in this post have helped you learn something new about properly maintaining your paint markers.
How to make paint pens last longer?
If you find that the paint inside your paint pens has dried up, here’s what you can do:
- Remove the marker cap and the nib using a pair of tweezers.
- Fill an eye dropper with paint thinner and slowly apply drops into the marker.
- Put the nib back on along with the marker.
- Give it a good shake so that the paint thinner mixes with the ink.
- Test it out on a scrap piece of paper. You may need to add more paint thinner if the dry paint pens still aren’t as smooth as usual.
In compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume the following about all links, posts, photos and other material on this website: Any/all of the links on this website are affiliate links of which The Big Red Illustration Agency receives a small commission from sales of certain items, but the price is the same for you. www.bigredillustrationagency.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk. Pages on this site may include links to Amazon and its affiliate sites on which the owner of this website will make a referral commission.
FULL TERMS HERE Cookie preferences: cookie preferences
Written By Adam Rushton
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adams media outlets, a wealth of knowledge, and experience enable him to consult and advise artists and illustrators in this country (from York and Manchester to Southampton and London) and all over the world.