How to Make Glitter Pens
If you’re interested in learning how to make glitter pens, you’re in the right place.
You can transform your pens by learning to create glitter pens that add some spark to your work. This post includes the steps involved to turn your ordinary pens into something more glittery which can make them more fun to use.
The steps below are great craft projects for kids to be involved in, under supervision. They can also make for a great gift idea!
First of all, you must make sure that you have all of the necessary supplies to make glitter pens. These supplies include the following:
- Spray varnish
- Double-sided tape
- Ballpoint pens
- Masking tape
- Fine-grit sandpaper
Glitter Pen Tutorial
- Start by using the sandpaper to gently sand the pen barrel.
- This enables the double-sided tape to have a better surface to stick to.
- Next, apply your double-sided tape so that the pen barrel is completely covered.
- Make sure that you wrap the tape firmly around the barrel and that there are no gaps.
- You can then get rid of the backing paper of the tape to expose the sticky surface for the glitter to stick to.
- Apply glitter to the pen barrel by sprinkling it on top. An alternative method is to sprinkle the glitter into a container and roll the pen around in it.
- Make sure that you apply some pressure to ensure that the glitter sticks to the adhesive properly.
- For those who want to have different parts of the pen covered with glitter in different colors, simply apply masking tape to the areas that you want to be a different color.
- Once you’ve applied the first glitter color, you can then remove the masking tape and apply the second color.
- When you’re happy with how the pen looks, it’s time to seal it.
- Use your clear varnish to spray over the glitter. This prevents excess glitter from falling off of the barrel too easily. It also provides a glossy finish that looks great and makes the pen more comfortable to hold.
- Make sure to apply the spray varnish outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. It’s also best to wear protective gloves, goggles, and a mask.
- Once you’ve finished spraying the varnish, leave the glitter pen to dry for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Place the tip of the pen into a piece of styrofoam so that it’s in the best position to dry. If it’s flat on a surface, the glitter and varnish may not look great by the end.
Making Glitter Resin Pens
- When it comes to using epoxy resin, follow the same steps mentioned above.
- After you’ve sanded the pen down, squeeze small amounts of the resin and hardener into a small container.
- Mix it and add your glitter to the mixture.
- Use a popsicle or ice cream stick to apply the resin to your pen barrel in a thin layer.
- It’s important to do this process fast due to how the resin dries within a matter of minutes.
- Once you’ve applied it to your pen, let it dry completely for 24 hours.
- You can use sandpaper again if the resin hasn’t created a smooth enough surface.
Also read: How to Make the Color Gold With Colored Pencils
So, that concludes our post on how to make glitter gel pens. As long as you have all of the supplies, you can start making glitter pens quickly and easily! Kids can have tons of fun making these pens and it can encourage them to enjoy using them for drawing and writing more.
It’s also a great project to children to be involved in and let their creative side run wild.
In compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume the following about all links, posts, photos and other material on this website: Any/all of the links on this website are affiliate links of which The Big Red Illustration Agency receives a small commission from sales of certain items, but the price is the same for you. www.bigredillustrationagency.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk. Pages on this site may include links to Amazon and its affiliate sites on which the owner of this website will make a referral commission.
FULL TERMS HERE Cookie preferences: cookie preferences
Written By Adam Rushton
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adams media outlets, a wealth of knowledge, and experience enable him to consult and advise artists and illustrators in this country (from York and Manchester to Southampton and London) and all over the world.