Best markers to draw on skin.
The best markers to draw on skin reviews
The following is a review of tattoo pens that can be used to draw temporary tattoos or other designs on the human body. These products are excellent for use by children, young adults, and anyone who wishes to experiment with their creativity without a permanent commitment from dress-up enthusiasts, to face painting for sporting events to trainee tattoo artists (e.g., you might want to use such a product before getting inked head to toe in tattoo designs).
Indeed, these types of skin markers provide an easy way for artists of any skill level – be they professional or amateur – to doodle all over their own bodies with no lasting effects whatsoever. It’s true: when used properly and responsibly, these sorts of ink pens will easily wash off in a matter of days, if not a few hours.
Read on to check out the products I’ve now bought, tried and reviewed, and choose the one that seems like it’s going to work best for you!
Disclaimer – This website contains affiliate links. If you find the information useful and click on a product link and make a purchase, a small commission will be earned by Big Red Illustration
- Best markers to draw on skin.
- The best markers to draw on skin reviews
- Here are the top 5 reviews:
- 1. BIC BodyMark Temporary Tattoo Markers
- 2. Toysmith Ink-a-Do Shimmery Tattoo Pens Bundle – 2 Pack
- 3. Vanli’s Temporary Tattoo Pens
- 4. Professional GOTH Body Art Pens and Eyeliner. Temporary BLACK SKIN Tattoo Pens. HENNA STYLE SKIN MARKER (3 Pack Black-GOTH)
- 5. Inkbox Freehand Ink Temporary Tattoos | Lasts Up to 2 Weeks | Perfect for Artists, Long Lasting Temp Kit Tattoos, and Temporary Tattoo Drawing (1 Ounce -Pack of 1)
- A few additional points:
- Professional body art pens – what do I look for?
- What can I use to draw on my skin?
- What markers are OK to use on skin?
- Is it OK to draw on your skin with a marker?
- What to use to draw tattoos on skin?
- What to look for when buying a Marker to draw on skin
- Are Prismacolor Sharpie and Crayola Markers Safe?
- What makes a Sharpie?
- Sharpie Ink vs Tattoo Ink: The Argument
- Is Sharpie bad for your sensitive skin?
- BIC BodyMark Temporary Tattoos Ink Markers
- Surgical Skin Tattoo Markers
- What about dry erase markers?
Here are the top 5 reviews:
1. BIC BodyMark Temporary Tattoo Markers
About this item
- BIC Temporary Tattoo Skin Markers add flare to your designs.
- The top-rated cosmetics brand that caters to the needs of both men and women. Provides high intensity, long-lasting color without a costly tattoo procedure. Tattoos you’ve always wanted without the commitment! You can use this makeup to create any sort of body art you desire, such as temporary tattoos or sunburn remedies.
- A fine point ink applicator with small pen tips that are ideal for thin lines and intricate designs.
- Perfect for sprucing up your style for special occasions, parties, festivals, and other events.
- There are so many colors to choose from: black, brown, red, blue, green, purple, pink and light blue!
- Is made in a way that is satisfactory with cosmetic standards. Follow all warnings and instructions to the letter. Not tested on sensitive skin.
- For ages 13+
I have always wanted to have some tattoos, but it seemed like a lot of commitment.
I’ve finally found some temporary tattoo markers that are easy for kids or anyone else who wishes to experiment with their creativity without permanent commitment. These ink pens are great for sprucing up your style for special occasions, parties, festivals, or other events.
The colors are also bright and vivid and perfect for summer. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a temporary tattoo or for budding tattoo artists, and to those who just want to express themselves without causing much harm or pain!
2. Toysmith Ink-a-Do Shimmery Tattoo Pens Bundle – 2 Pack
About this item
- 2 sets of 6 pens each and 2 sets of 3 stencil sheets, totalling 18 pieces!
- Make your own design or utilize the provided stencils to use the pattern.
- You just have to ink, wash, and repeat. It’s a fantastic product for a birthday party or sleepover.
- Ideal for vacations, party favors, giveaways, schools, organizations, stocking stuffers, and much more!
- For children aged six and up.
I was very excited to get this tattoo kit, but at the same time kind of nervous. My niece is eight and she’s always drawing on me with markers sometimes with ones I can barely get off (don’t want to have to go through that again).
Thankfully, these pens wash off easily! The kit had more than enough stencils for whatever design you wanted, which was great for my niece who likes making her own original designs.
The pens also worked really well! Like they claimed, the colors were just as they appeared in the package. Also, they dried very quickly and didn’t smudge or anything.
If you’re looking for a tattoo kit that works every time, then this is it!
3. Vanli’s Temporary Tattoo Pens
About this item
- VIVID EACH COLOR IS UNIQUE: Each of our temporary body tattoo skin markers is carefully made to display brilliant vibrant hues on the skin. 6 Original fine felt pens, perfect for drawing fine lines, as well as 7 metallic brush pens, are included.
- EXHIBIT YOUR BODY ART: Create a unique design with the included tattoo stencil papers. Choose from 50 distinct patterns to create a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Non-toxic markers derived from nature and meets ASTM and FDA cosmetic requirements. This product should not be used on the lips, eyes, or sensitive skin. Wash away any rash with soap and water if it occurs.
- INGREDIENTS: Sodium sulfate, water, sodium carbonate, sodium lignosulfonate, titanium dioxide, various colored non-toxic pigment
- BEST PENS; SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
I was really delighted with Vanli’s Temporary Tattoo Pens. I found that they were skin safe and non-permanent. The pens are beautiful vibrant colors, and there are lots of stencils to choose from.
Temporary and lasting: Not long-lasting like a real tattoo, but it will last you for days until your next shower or thorough washing of the part it is on.
Vanli’s Temporary Tattoo Pens are vibrant and pretty colors that you can draw on your skin with. Regular, non-toxic skin markers that look natural and beautiful, not like some other temporary tattoos I have tried in the past.
With different stencils included it is super easy to make a beautiful design.
I would recommend Vanli’s Temporary Tattoo Pens as some of the best pens I’ve used to anyone.
4. Professional GOTH Body Art Pens and Eyeliner. Temporary BLACK SKIN Tattoo Pens. HENNA STYLE SKIN MARKER (3 Pack Black-GOTH)
About this item
- Non permanent. Make and improve existing permanent tattoos. Define the greatest Lip Liner of all time! Define and enhance eyes.
- HIGH QUALITY – Provides a Real Tattoo Look and Feel (Not the Airbrush Paint Look), Used by PROFESSIONAL TATTOO ARTISTS on PERM TATTOOS, Non-Irritating to Skin, Even Children Can Apply and Is Safe for Face, Excellent Quality!
- 5x PERMANENT AND LONGEVITY-ENHANCING BLACK GOTH PENS IN EACH PAIR. BONUS: 5X PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP REMOVERS You can choose any one of them, or add together all three pairs to make a perfectly balanced set! Available in sets of 3 and 6
- The direct ink system has been completely redesigned. It is smudge-proof and waterproof. Liquid ink that is water based and long-lasting and quick dry formulation. The revolutionary Velvet-like Tip for smooth application features no skipping, dragging, or pulling! WATER WILL CAUSE INK TO FADE AND WASH OFF WITH TIME.
- IT ISN’T A TOY! Make freehand Henna designs and artwork using multiple colors. Create Henna Style patterns and artwork using multiple colors. ALL DAY FORMULA WITH NO PULLING, DRAGGING, OR DRAGGING – SMUDGE-FREE WATERPROOF
My new favorite markers to use on human skin and one of the best pens I’ve used – I have been using these skin markers for a few months now and they work so well.
The ink doesn’t smudge and washes off with water after time. I love the fact that it is not permanent, this way I can make corrections if needed. It lasts all day without fading too, which is really important to me.
I would recommend this pen to anyone who loves skin markers or wants to experiment with them! The best part about them is that they are versatile and come in many colors.
An absolute winner and great value for money.
These pens are my new favorite invention! I use them every day and night; they never smudge, last all day and all night (even when sweating).
I even used them to add color to Glitter Tattoos and the color stayed vibrant against the glitter!
5. Inkbox Freehand Ink Temporary Tattoos | Lasts Up to 2 Weeks | Perfect for Artists, Long Lasting Temp Kit Tattoos, and Temporary Tattoo Drawing (1 Ounce -Pack of 1)
About this item
- CHECK IT OUT: Each Large box includes 1 oz. of Freehand Ink, plus a freebie! The size of the bottle may vary.
- – Let it dry for an hour before washing. – Your design will start to form within 24 hours and last 1-2 weeks. Your Inkbox hue is entirely unique to you! Because our formulation works with your skin’s natural chemistry, the color of your tattoo may vary considerably. For some, the ink became bluer; while for others, it became black
- THE THIN STEEL POINT ALLOWS FOR EXTENSIVE DETAIL – You may use the Thin steel tip to generate highly specific patterns. The options are infinite because to this much freedom of expression.
- FREEHAND INK TATTOOS ARE 100 PERCENT PLANT BASED – Our Freehand Ink Tattoos are completely plant-based. Plant-based solution is painless to use and safe for the skin.
- EASY TO USE – Our beautiful ergonomically designed bottle makes application a snap. This design allows for smooth squeezing and control. The 1 Ounce is the ideal size for an active artist working on larger full bodies, sleeves, or multiple pieces.
- TATTOOS FOR EVERYONE – Inkbox provides a skin safe markers alternative to perm tattoos for individuals who can’t obtain them due to religious scruples, skin issues, age restrictions, employment limitations, or other concerns.
I first discovered Inkbox Ink and Freehand Temporary Tattoos on Amazon and the reviews convinced me to try it.
It was a great decision because I am now hooked on this art tool – they are perfect for my art projects, last for about 2 weeks, are so easy to apply, and are less expensive than getting a permanent tattoo!
I love how I can have my own unique design, including details that are not possible with permanent marker tattoos.
If you’re looking to try something new, give Inkbox Ink a shot – I can’t recommend it enough!
A few additional points:
Things to consider when making temporary tattoos are:
Best pen, skin marker attributes; high quality ink, fine tips, flexible tip, broad lines, thick strokes, basic shades, cosmetic quality, skin absorption
Avoid sticky residues and ensure the regular skin markers you use are perfectly safe and meet cosmetic regulations. You don’t want to cause skin problems, allergic reaction or any other health risk
Most markers and pens for drawing will provide vivid colors. Whilst this is great only time or experience will reveal how long the ink lasts; the only drawback in the mean time possibly being if they easily fade.
The best markers to draw on skin are ones without smudging, with vibrant colors and last a long time. Some markers have different ink colors which can be used to create unique works of art. These are the pens for drawing that are great for tattoos or body painting.
As with all products the best thing to do is to review and sample for yourself. Only then will you truly know if it’s the right product for you, however, I do hope that my initial research has helped you with your investigation so far.
Please let me know your thoughts on each marker set / pens for drawing and if you think I’ve missed anything important that need addressing then I’ll be only too happy to review and include it.
Have fun tattooing 😉
Professional body art pens – what do I look for?
Choosing the right brand of pen is important when it comes to professional body art. There are many brands of pen, but they aren’t all equal in quality or performance. Look for a pen that has been specially formulated for use on skin and with a pigment ink rather than a dye-based colour.
Not only does this enhance vibrancy and the ability to resist fading, it also helps guard against skin infection as dye-based inks can harbour bacteria.
What can I use to draw on my skin?
Skin markers are used to draw designs on your skin. They work just like the markers you have at home, so if you don’t have any drawing experience, no problem! A lot of people who get into body art start off with skin markers on themselves or friends.
What markers are OK to use on skin?
NOT oil-based or permanent markers. NOT felt tip pens.
The best kind of marker to use is a water-based ink pen, like a Sharpie. These types of markers are made with porous point materials that allow the ink to soak into the skin and come out again when you wash it off.
The newest kind that’s been coming out is a kind that is made with a material called porous polyethene, instead of the regular old porous point materials. This new kind allows even better saturation and longer-lasting designs on your skin.
Is it OK to draw on your skin with a marker?
YES. If done correctly, specialist skin safe markers do zero damage to your skin and there is no reason not to draw on yourself! Be sure to check the information for each set thoroughly before use and always do a small test prior to completing full designs in case of allergic reactions.
What to use to draw tattoos on skin?
Skin safe markers are used to draw designs on your skin. They work just like the markers you have at home, so if you don’t have any drawing experience, no problem!
What to look for when buying a Marker to draw on skin
First things first when using any medicine to direct yourself onto your body. Make sure that each product or brand has the ASTM standard or receive a US cosmetic certification.
Make sure the coloring is nontoxic and low odorous. Since body arts written through markers should only stay for several days max, we should be able to wash them out without hassle if necessary.
Some products require nail polish Remover, while others require a small amount of acids alcohol or hand soap to be removed. Number of colors and effects should also be considered as defining factors. Dual-tip collections are the most convenient and versatile tattoo pen for skin that we may ask for.
Are Prismacolor Sharpie and Crayola Markers Safe?
Proxy Color supplies professionals with utterly safe products and services. Nevertheless certain of these colors promote alcohol or dye which doesn’t require any contact with our sensitive skin.
Sharpie art on skin is probably popular since some tattoo artists still draw their own tattoos using Sharpie markers. So you may want to use caution when trying to apply the Ink near open wounds or eye and lip.
Crayola confirmed its product is non-toxic. However not manufactured as cosmetics. Moreover their markers, paint crayons and pen have not been rigorously tested on skin. So we can’t formally recommend using this marker pigment on your body.
What makes a Sharpie?
N-propanol demonstrates a low acute toxicity to children in dermatic, oral and intraoperative exposures.
N-butanol is an unstable redox acid that is considered intoxicated.
Diacetone alcohol is not toxic, but is irritant.
Cresol is a strong dermal irritant and Xylene is neurotoxic and can damage other organs. The drug presents risks via inhaled blood ingestion and absorption through skin and mucous membranes. Thus rubbing such chemicals onto skin is not recommendable. It’s not recommended to use Sharpie ink on skin.
Sharpie Ink vs Tattoo Ink: The Argument
Temporary Sharpie tattoos do not soak into skin as tattoo ink does. Tattoo inks are normally composed of metallic salts suspended in a carrier solution.
Pen ink focuses on a single purpose: write on paper. If you think about body art – stick with temporary tattoos that are using skin safe marker or suitable safe ink. Sometimes markers can be used to make amazing art but if you want perm tattoos stick to skin safe paint or tattoo ink; you’ll need Sharpie pens ink for drawing on skin making skin markings rather than standard ink.
The biggest issue for Sharpie body art is Absorption of chemicals into the body via broken skin can pass directly into the bloodstream.
Is Sharpie bad for your sensitive skin?
The chemical makeup of Sharpies products is varying and some may theoretically be safe. Certain marks bearing ACMI’s label are safe for use in Art (NOT Body Art) yet there are other Sharpies that contain toxic solvents which is extremely harmful for your skin. Make sure to check the chemicals on Sharpies to ensure the particular product is safe for drawing on skin
BIC BodyMark Temporary Tattoos Ink Markers
BIC BodyMark Temporary Tattoo Markers comprises 8 markers of various shades and colors. Contains stencils of beautiful images that inspire each individual user and a look book as a guide.
The pen points are flexible to draw fine lines and broader shades together in a pen. The emulsion on the back of the screen is excellent; however it sometimes requires multiple washing and to remove.
Children under 13 years old are forbidden to use it on irritated skin or broken skin as well as near their eyes and lips. The lookbook of Miryam Lumpini contains tips, tricks and ideas for designing artwork using these pens.
These markers can be used for professional or personal use and provide the kind of quality you need.
Surgical Skin Tattoo Markers
Non-toxic, medical grade markers have become a requirement for professional medical doctors and tattooed experts in their field. Self Scan Skin non toxic pens are hand drawn with a medical grade plastic hand and are incompatible with most tattoo pen products.
However there were also flaws in their fixed tip that is restricted to small line borders without heavy shade and wide stripes. The rest of the markers are semi-permanent to resist standard medical prep to stay visible once every clean procedure.
What about dry erase markers?
Some markers contain harmful chemicals named methyl isobutylketone. It irritate the eyes and causes dizziness, headaches vomiting and other symptoms.
Long-term exposure from just one pen can be dangerous for nausea, burning in one eyes, excess cholesterol, intestinal discomfort and insomnia.
If accidentally this chemical falls on the skin it will give off redness, dry skin and even severe burn.
There’s no remedy to this irritation so make sure to protect yourself by ejecting these markers from your skin regularly.
The chemical irritates the skin in addition to causing it dryness redness and pain. It also causes severe headache and dizziness due to long-term use.
Written By Adam Rushton
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adams media outlets, a wealth of knowledge, and experience enable him to consult and advise artists and illustrators in this country (from York and Manchester to Southampton and London) and all over the world.
Say hello to Jarvis, your AI Copywriting Assistant. Now Jarvis can help you write blog articles, social media posts, sales letters, and even books.
Let Jarvis write your marketing copy for free.
Optimised With Surfer SEO
Create the best content for people AND search engines that brings you tons of organic traffic while you’re asleep.
Your fast lane to hyper-relevant pages powered by advanced technology.