The best chalk markers.
Liquid chalk markers are a great way to get your message across and leave your mark on the world. They’re also an affordable alternative to paint, which is why they’re so popular among artists and interior designers.
In this blog post, I’ll discuss everything related to chalk markers: what they are, how you can use them for different purposes, some of my favorite brands available, and more!
A little history about liquid chalk markers
A few years ago, you might not have been able to find any good liquid chalk markers on the market. The chalk was either too light or too dark and even though they were chalk, they didn’t last very long at all before needing to be replaced. Times are different now! There are plenty of high-quality choices that will help you achieve the look you want and perfect to add to your art stationery orders and purchase. Let’s take a closer look at some of the best ones for chalk boards in particular…
Disclaimer – This website contains affiliate links. If you find the information useful and click on a product link and make a purchase, a small commission will be earned by Big Red Illustration
- Chalk Markers.
- The best chalk markers.
- A little history about liquid chalk markers
- ** FEATURED PENS **
- Arteza Liquid Chalk Markers Set of 8 (8 Metallic Colors, 8 Replaceable Chisel Tips, 1 pc Tweezers, 50 Labels, 2 Sticky…
- Arteza Liquid Chalk Markers, Water-Based 42-Color Pack with 50 Chalkboard Labels and Replaceable Tips for Adults…
- Liquid Chalk Markers for Blackboards – Wet Erase Marker Pens – Chalk Markers for Chalkboards Signs, Windows, Blackboard…
- Fine Tip Chalk Markers (30 Pack – Neon & Pastel) Chalk Pens – Dry Erase Marker Pens for Blackboard, Chalkboards Signs…
- Liquid Chalk Marker Pen – White Dry Erase Marker – Chalk Markers for Chalkboard Signs, Windows, Blackboard, Glass with…
- VersaChalk Metallic Liquid Chalk Markers for Blackboards (8 Pack, 3mm, Fine Tip) – Erasable Washable Chalk Pens for…
- Sharpie Chalk Marker, Wet Erase Markers, Assorted Colors, 5 Count
- Liquid Chalk Markers – 12 Whiteboard Neon & Metallic Colors | Chalkboard Safe Dustless Wet Erase Paint Pens | Fine Tips…
- Set of 16 – Neon Liquid Chalk Markers for Write-on Black Boards, 5/8-inch Flat Tip – 2 Each of: Green, White, Blue, Pink…
- 60 Dry Erase Markers + Pack of 40 Chalk Pens Bundle
- Thornton’s Art Supply Liquid Chalk Markers – Reversible Bullet Chisel Tips Assorted Colors Pack of 18 Write on Multi…
- ZEYAR Liquid Chalk Marker-Wet Erase Marker, 6mm Reversible Tip-Bullet or Chisel, 8 Colors, Large Capacity, Writes on…
- What is a chalk marker?
- What can I do with liquid chalk markers?
- How do I use a chalk marker?
- Best liquid chalk markers: Top picks to add to your shopping cart!
- When should I use a liquid chalk marker?
- What products can you use chalkboard markers on?
- What else do I need to know?
- What is the best brand for liquid chalk markers?
- What is chalkboard paint?
- What is the best way to erase a chalk marker?
- Does chalk markers work on mirrors or glass?
- What types of chalk markers are there?
- What are chalk markers good for?
- Do I need an eraser?
- Great features of liquid chalk markers
- A few things to note about the chalk marker
- What are the different varieties of tips they use?
- Which people would use this product?
- In conclusion
** FEATURED PENS **
Arteza Liquid Chalk Markers Set of 8 (8 Metallic Colors, 8 Replaceable Chisel Tips, 1 pc Tweezers, 50 Labels, 2 Sticky…Check Price
Arteza Liquid Chalk Markers, Water-Based 42-Color Pack with 50 Chalkboard Labels and Replaceable Tips for Adults…Check Price
Liquid Chalk Markers for Blackboards – Wet Erase Marker Pens – Chalk Markers for Chalkboards Signs, Windows, Blackboard…Check Price
Fine Tip Chalk Markers (30 Pack – Neon & Pastel) Chalk Pens – Dry Erase Marker Pens for Blackboard, Chalkboards Signs…Check Price
Liquid Chalk Marker Pen – White Dry Erase Marker – Chalk Markers for Chalkboard Signs, Windows, Blackboard, Glass with…Check Price
VersaChalk Metallic Liquid Chalk Markers for Blackboards (8 Pack, 3mm, Fine Tip) – Erasable Washable Chalk Pens for…Check Price
Sharpie Chalk Marker, Wet Erase Markers, Assorted Colors, 5 CountCheck Price
Liquid Chalk Markers – 12 Whiteboard Neon & Metallic Colors | Chalkboard Safe Dustless Wet Erase Paint Pens | Fine Tips…Check Price
Set of 16 – Neon Liquid Chalk Markers for Write-on Black Boards, 5/8-inch Flat Tip – 2 Each of: Green, White, Blue, Pink…Check Price
60 Dry Erase Markers + Pack of 40 Chalk Pens BundleCheck Price
Thornton’s Art Supply Liquid Chalk Markers – Reversible Bullet Chisel Tips Assorted Colors Pack of 18 Write on Multi…Check Price
ZEYAR Liquid Chalk Marker-Wet Erase Marker, 6mm Reversible Tip-Bullet or Chisel, 8 Colors, Large Capacity, Writes on…Check Price
What is a chalk marker?
Chalk markers or chalk pens as they are sometimes referred as are a type of marker pen that uses water-soluble chalk as its ink. They’re similar to dry erase markers, but they don’t require any form of erasing once you’ve drawn on the surface (though it is possible to remove their marks using paint thinner).
What can I do with liquid chalk markers?
Chalk markers are used for many different purposes. Artists and interior designers use them to create detailed sketches or make creative chalkboard signs, while teachers often employ them during lessons involving drawing or writing on chalkboards.
They’re also popular among crafters and children for drawing on non-porous surfaces like paper.
How do I use a chalk marker?
To write or draw with a chalk marker, you simply press the tip of its nib to coat it in liquid chalk before applying ink onto your chosen material.
Best liquid chalk markers: Top picks to add to your shopping cart!
Some favorites include Pentel, which are great if you want more precise control over how much chalk is applied to the surface; Chalkola which provide an elegant aesthetic; Sharpie which are great for detailed illustrations; and Zeyar chalk markers that are perfect if you’re looking to work with children.
The best chalk markers are made by a company called Edding Markers. This manufacturer has many different packs of pens for you to choose from and a good range of colors. The price does vary depending on what type of pack you buy, but both are available in three different price ranges (low, medium-high, and high).
When should I use a liquid chalk marker?
Liquid paint is most often used as a thin, watery substance applied in small quantities by brush or other means (such as spray) on areas such as drywall, concrete block or plaster board prior to painting them. Liquid paints can also be applied over some opaque colors without obscuring the underlying color of the material below – this type of application is called “misting”. You might also want to consider using an erasable marker if you’ll only need it temporarily or will be drawing near fragile items like clothing fabric.
What products can you use chalkboard markers on?
Chalk markers are nearly universally applicable to a variety of surfaces. They are suitable for use on chalkboards, windows and other glass surfaces, plastic, blackboards, stone, whiteboards and any non porous surfaces, even coffee mugs.
What else do I need to know?
It’s a well-known secret that the most intense artwork created on boards is chalkboard art. Whether it’s for your own enjoyment or to create something for a unique situation such as Wedding Signs, a Bistro Window Menu or a special venue such as a Diners Club Windows, everyone loves drawing with these non permanent tool products. That said, there are many different types of chalk marker products available for purchase!
What is the best brand for liquid chalk markers?
There are many product brands ready to order from; these pens are best rated, recommended based on reviews, availability and pricing options. I would recommend staying away from the cheapest type of product brand in these categories, as they often come in a messy form and may not be ideal for your needs when creating your image.
What is chalkboard paint?
It’s like any other type of painting and comes with its own set of pros, such as being able to cover large areas quickly without needing primer or multiple coats. There are also many different styles available on most stores stock list that make it easy to find what you’re looking for! Keep in mind when using this option that some boards need a sealant applied before using these products on them (especially if you want them to last longer).
What is the best way to erase a chalk marker?
It’s best to use a dry cloth or paper towel.
Does chalk markers work on mirrors or glass?
Yes, they can be used on mirrors or glass. I recommend using either window paint by Krylon and/or some type of clear coat for that purpose. I wouldn’t however recommend using them on thin sheets of glass (a delicate and fragile product) or car mirrors (as the colors may hinder vision).
What types of chalk markers are there?
Chalk markers can be made from both oil based or water soluble liquid ink; oils typically last longer but you need to use a sealant before applying them to the board if you want it to stay in good condition.
The best chalk markers are the ones that come in packs of 12 and have a variety of colors. The price for these is around $30 with shipping included, which makes them one of our favorite product on this site to recommend. These chalk markers will work great for any number of materials including colored paper or even white boards if you want to use them for your office or school.
What are chalk markers good for?
Chalk markers can be used to draw on any type of surface that is essentially a solid color – so they’re perfect if you want to make temporary designs, labels and signs at home, in the work place or even at trade shows! Just a case of choosing the right style, size and color and at a price that suits.
Do I need an eraser?
The chalk markers that are recommended often come with an eraser and a sharpener – so you will have these essentials to hand. The best part is that the ink in these markers can be used over and over again, which saves money on having to buy more new ones all of the time! This is often one of the features mentioned by people in customer reviews section for the product and usually results in a good star rating.
Great features of liquid chalk markers
- Bright, vivid ink color that are easy to see and write with
- Works on almost any non porous surfaces including glass, wood, metal, board (may need to be primed), chalkboards and paper
- Dries quickly without smudging or damaging other surfaces it has been applied to
- The ink is water-based and non toxic which means it will not harm the environment (although, care should be taken when disposing of any waste)
- Easily removed with a damp cloth or sponge if needed.
- Sticks well even on rough surfaces like stone, brick etc…
- Variety of colors available from this brand so you can choose your preference
- Long lasting – up to 24 hours without fading! This makes them perfect for most uses as they have no need to be repainted every few minutes/hours due to wear and tear on the chalkboard surface.
- Also: The best liquid chalk markers are often recommended by people who use them regularly in their work because these markers offer both quality and longevity.
A few things to note about the chalk marker
- These markers come in a set of 12 so you can cover all your needs and not be limited by colors just because you need one more or less marker for the project where you’re using them.
- Because they are water based, there is no need to worry about chemicals which usually makes chalk paint toxic as it can leech into materials when wet. This means that these markers will give off a scent but this should dissipate quickly with time (usually within 24 hours).
- You do have the option of buying refills from this brand if needed so don’t forget about it! It’s always worth checking out whether replacements are available before going elsewhere and spending money
What are the different varieties of tips they use?
A chalk marker can come in numerous colors and with different styles of tip.
The chalk marker will typically have the option of two types of tips, the chisel tip and bullet point.
The Bullet Pointed Chalk Marker
A bullet point chalk marker tip creates one thick line with either round or pointed ends, which can be used for different purposes such as outlining text to make it easier to read from a distance or emphasising certain words in speech balloons in comic strips.
The Chisel Tipped Chalk Marker
Chisel Tips consist only linearly drawn strokes (either straight, wavy, etc.), without any gaps in the stroke, and are usually used for lettering.
The chisel tipped chalk marker is typically preferred by artists who don’t want a long line or anyone looking to create an outline of their writing with few strokes while still maintaining some control on how thick it will be. Artists may also use these markers to shade drawings as they cannot produce gradients like calligraphy pens can.
Which people would use this product?
This type of chalk marker is a suitable item to order and purchase for all ages (excluding toddlers of course). Adults will have hours of fun around the home enhancing furniture, decorating glass objects, including windows, creating pictures on boards (milestone boards for your children works really well) even the evening menu for special occassions…the possibilities are endless for these products.
And with kids, the same applies, just make sure you have a cloth or paper towel to hand for any unwanted home decor mishaps (maybe a large quantity). The safe option is to keep to chalkboards of course, the best material for the chalk pens and our little budding artist stars to create an image on. If you want to keep it safe, stick with a chalkboard. With that said (and by no means do I mean to be negative) it really does keep them entertained while teaching them fine motor skills and self expression so there’s no time limit on what they could create!
I have to say that the chalk marker is one of my ‘tool box stars’ and as such is one of my most favourite types of marker to use. This item is item number 1 as it’s such a fun product and should instantly be added to your shopping cart orders immediately ready to go. Any product description or question reviews can describe the chalk pens’ use but you can only truly appreciate it as a customer by actually making the purchase (dig out that credit card) and by trying the chalk marker out for yourself on some board or other non-porous surfaces. Get these items added to your customer account now, pop them in your shopping cart, checkout and get started on your first chalk image straight away
In compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume the following about all links, posts, photos and other material on this website:
Any/all of the links on this website are affiliate links of which The Big Red Illustration Agency receives a small commission from sales of certain items, but the price is the same for you.
www.bigredillustrationagency.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk. Pages on this site may include links to Amazon and its affiliate sites on which the owner of this website will make a referral commission.
Cookie preferences: cookie preferences
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adam's wealth of knowledge and experience enables him to consult and advise artists and illustrators all over the world.