Best permanent markers for plastic.
Reviews of the 8 best permanent markers for use on plastic in 2021
Writing on Plastic is exciting. It allows one to make exceptional artwork especially if one has recycled plastic materials first.
This article will help you decide what permanent marker brands are available, what things you should look out for and also what to avoid…
First up though here are my top 8 products based on my testing:
Disclaimer – This website contains affiliate links. If you find the information useful and click on a product link and make a purchase, a small commission will be earned by Big Red Illustration
- Best permanent markers for plastic.
- Reviews of the 8 best permanent markers for use on plastic in 2021
- Product Reviews
- 1. Sharpie Twin Tip Permanent Markers
- 2. Posca PXPC5M8 Acrylic Paint Marker Set, Medium, Assorted
- 3. Artistro Acrylic Paint Markers
- 4. Flymax White Paint Pen
- Acrylic Paint Marker Pens
- 6. ZEYAR Paint Markers for Rock Painting
- 7. BIC Mark-It Fine Point Permanent Marker Pens
- 8. Uni Posca PC-1MR White Colour Paint Marker Pens
- Additional info that may be of use:
- What to look for when buying permanent paint markers for plastic surfaces
- How do I write on plastic permanently?
- Why do people use permanent paint markers?
- Do permanent paint markers work on plastic surfaces?
- What are the best markers for a plastic surface?
- What can I use to permanently write on a plastic surface?
- What brand of permanent paint markers is the most permanent?
- Not all permanent markers are equal…
- Other terms.
1. Sharpie Twin Tip Permanent Markers
Fine & Ultra-Fine Points | Black | 12 Count
About this item
- Permanent ink markings on not only plastic but paper, metal, and most other surfaces.
- Ink so durable that it dries quickly and resists fading and moisture.
- Twin tip markers are ideal for a variety of applications in schools, offices, at home, and more.
- 12 black twin tip permanent black ink markers included, providing a deep and long-lasting color.
- Fine point tip and ultra-fine point tip
I now use these pens for everything: labeling the plants I grow, numbering and drawing diagrams in my work, and sketching when I need to.
My favorite thing about this set is that they’re so easy to use – no bleeding or smudging when writing on light surfaces and the ink dries quickly so it doesn’t smear or run. It’s also great because you can start with a fine point to write in small spaces and finish with an ultra-fine point for accurate lettering and tight lines.
With such a versatile marker, you can use it on almost any surface like paper, plastic, metal or even wood
A great marker from sharpie.
2. Posca PXPC5M8 Acrylic Paint Marker Set, Medium, Assorted
About this item
- For continuous usage, the reversible tips offer further value.
- Water-based and non-toxic.
- The paint inside the barrels remains consistent thanks to the mixing balls inside the pens.
First off, I’m in love with these markers. They are so diverse in what they can do. The tips are actually really smooth and when you put them to paper, the colours are mesmerizing. The ink is not too wet or dry which means that there is no need for any smudging or blurring.
These markers are really great to work with. The colours are vibrant and they make really smooth strokes on the canvas. They don’t smudge either which is a bonus in my books. And when you’re finished, there’s no need to worry about any brush strokes or anything like that.
Overall, I would recommend these as some of the best plastic permanent markers for plastic out there.
3. Artistro Acrylic Paint Markers
42 Acrylic Paint Markers – Extra Fine Tip Paint Pens (0.7mm)
About this item
- The Artistro Paint Markers for acrylic painting are made of the highest quality water-based Italian imported inks for a smooth, even flow and glossy, opaque finish.
- High-quality ink yields bright, vibrant colors and flawless artwork on virtually any surface.
- Paint with a variety of 40 distinct colors, plus extra black and white acrylic pens for painting.
- Artistro Acrylic paint markers are kid-friendly, non-toxic, and odorless. They meet both US and EU safety requirements.
- Create art projects on rock, stone, ceramic, glass, wood, fabric, canvas, mugs, plastic, textiles, metal and more.
- You will get a step-by-step tutorial e-book with crafts rock designs
- The Perfect Gift – ideal gift for crafters and artists.
I’ve tried painting with cheaper acrylic paint marker pens, but these are soooo much better. The ink flow is perfect and they seem to go on more smoothly + they don’t clog up as easily. I also love the colors, they are extremely strong and vibrant.
It’s important to shake them before each use and test the paint on a piece of paper to make sure it is shaken enough for painting. You can also blend colors using a brush or even use your fingers if you get too much color out of the marker.
Great pens and highly recommended.
4. Flymax White Paint Pen
6 Pack, 0.7mm Acrylic White Permanent Marker White Paint Pens for Wood Rock Plastic Leather Glass Stone Metal Canvas Ceramic Marker Extra Very Fine Point Opaque Ink
About this item
- Flymax white permanent marker paint pen is the ideal tool for a wide range of surfaces. Rock painting ceramic wood leather plastic fabric canvas stone glass metallic wood chalkboard craft supplies, among other things
- Acrylic paint marker pen that dries quickly for long-lasting color, safe Ink, no leak, no harmful chemicals. Conform to ASTM D-4236 and EN71-3.
- SUITABLE FOR DETAILS – Pump-action 0.7mm extra-fine tips allow you to achieve precision control, as well as delicate shading and gradients, tiny details, and any artwork project.
- PERFECT EFFECTS – Make labels, decorate a wedding chalkboard, paint glasses or create rock supplies art projects using flymax white paint markers. Artists, children, teenagers and adults will all enjoy the use of flymax white paint markers.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
I love to paint with these pens. They’re perfect for any project I’m doing. Whether it’s a quick sketch, painting on the furniture or making decorations for my house, they work great!
They don’t clog up and are super easy to use. When I first got the package, I was worried that the paint would dry before I had time to even start painting but this wasn’t the case at all. The paint stays moist so you don’t have to worry about mistakes looking bad before you can fix them.
The point is really fine so you can get detailed designs without having to stress about ruining the project because the paint will leak on anything below it. The color is also very opaque which is something I usually have trouble finding in department store markers.
I also love that it doesn’t dry out and keep the tip moist for a very long time.
A great white marker, perfect for use on plastic.
Acrylic Paint Marker Pens
Emooqi 24 Colors Premium Waterproof Permanent Marker Pen Set for Rock Painting, DIY Craft Projects, Ceramic, Glass, Canvas, Mug, Metal, Wood, Easter Egg
About this item
- The Emooqi Acrylic Paint Markers are composed of highly color-fast acrylic paint. Highly colored, thickly painted acrylic ink dries rapidly to provide a long-lasting opaque and glossy finish on light and dark surfaces.
- The paint is non-toxic, water-resistant, fade-resistant and UV-resistant. You may also combine the hues. Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Acrylic paint markers are the most innovative and adaptable paint markers on the market. They’re ideal for adding flair to your wardrobe, handbags, and shoes.
- Equipped with a unique 2-3 MM tip that ensures accurate flow control, as well as the precise pump-valve mechanism that displays the ink remaining in time and allows you to easily draw your favorite line.
- Create amazing art with our 24 color options of bright acrylic paint that include Red, Yellow, Pink, Orange, Purple, Blue, Green, Brown, Black, White, Gold , Silver, Light Pink, Light Blue, Leaf Buds (Lighting Yellow), Lighting Yellow (Light purple), Beige (Sky blue), Tan (Cyan blue),
- 24 × Acrylic Paint Marker Pens, 1 Exquisite Box, and 1 Painting Templates are included in your purchase. 4 x Painting Template
I’m in love with these pens. They make my life so much easier when I’m drawing or writing. I can’t say enough about how much they improve the quality of my work and they make it more enjoyable to do!
First of all, the ink dries really quickly and doesn’t smudge like most pens. The colors are very vibrant and are fade-resistant, even when exposed to light. The markers also produce a visible line that is smooth and thick.
As well as plastic, they’re also great for drawing and painting on glass, but you can definitely use them on anything – canvas, wood, metal, etc. I’m really impressed with how versatile they are!
The tip of the marker is very thin so it helps produce a high-quality drawing, but you can also press down on it to produce thicker lines when needed. It’s almost like having two different types of pens in one. The texture of the line is also excellent so you get a very clean result.
I can’t say enough about how much I love these pens! They’ve made writing and drawing fun again.
6. ZEYAR Paint Markers for Rock Painting
Medium Point, Waterproof & Permanent Ink, 24 Colors, Oil-Based, Expert of Rock, Wood, Fabric, Plastic, Canvas, Glass, Mugs and more
About this item
- Valve-action Structure: SHAKE WELL BEFORE EVERY USE, Great control of ink and gas, high-technology and reversible pen cap
- Vibrant 24 colors: Metallic Colors – Gold, Silver, Copper, Rose Gold; Neon Colors – Glowing green, Hot orange, Zesty lemon, Hot pink, Brilliant blue, Vivid Violet, Radiant Red, Fiery Amber; Basic Colors – White, Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Pink, Violet, Orange, Brown, Bran Red, Turquoise
- Ink Certificated: Conforms to ASTM D-4236 certificate, non-toxic and acid-free. No food contact
- Weather Resistant: Waterproof markers and Scratch resistant, Fade-resistant in nearly all weather and quick drying
- Smooth Writing: Writes on nearly any surface with your imagination and creation, allowing you to easily write on metal, paper, stone, rubber, ceramics, wood, canvas, glass, plastic and more!
So I recently purchased a package of Zeyar paint markers and I have to say I’ve been really pleased with them. Just as an additional test I have been using them to paint on wood trim, as well as plastic and they, worked great which is always a bonus.
The colors are bold and they dry nicely too. It only takes about 20-30 seconds to dry, which is good because then I don’t have to wait a long time before I can go back and continue painting over it again.
They also work well with stencils which come in a variety of shapes and sizes!
Overall this was a great purchase and I will continue to buy Zeyar in the future.
7. BIC Mark-It Fine Point Permanent Marker Pens
About this item
- MMVI BIC-Mark-It Color Collection, bold and long-lasting
- Acid-free markers with ultra-comfy grips
- Great for glass, metal, plastic and more
- Contains 24 fine point markers: forest green, key lime, margarita green, yellow blaze, summer melon, peach parfait, pink flamingo, Polynesian purple, petal pink, fandango pink, rambunctious red, sunset orange, tuxedo black, hot aqua, misty blue, blue skies blue, oceanview blue, deep-sea blue, plumtastic purple, desert rose, woodsy brown, honey brown, tiki hut tan, cloud nine grey.
- Conforms to ASTM D4236. Made in USA.
I was so curious to try out these new markers but didn’t want to have to spend a ton of money. I don’t think I’ve ever had any markers that were so nicely colored or so affordable.
These are the most awesome markers for anything you could ever want to do with them! They’re perfect for my DIY work, crafts, and even my artwork!
The colors are really vibrant and are easy to blend. The rubber grips are also really comfy.
I would recommend these markers to anyone who’s looking for an awesome set of markers!
8. Uni Posca PC-1MR White Colour Paint Marker Pens
Ultra Fine 0.7mm Calibre Tip Nib Writes On Any Surface Glass Metal Wood Plastic Fabric (Pack of 3)
About this item
- The PC-1MR Ultra Fine Tip Paint Marker Set from Superior Quality Uni Posca is a high-quality paint marker range that works on any surface and can be removed without leaving marks or stains on non-porous surfaces. It’s fade and water-resistant.
- Metal ring with precise metal durable tip suitable for detailed small work where accuracy is required. 0,7mm calibre tip with metal ring
- For Graphic Designers, Artists & Hobbyists When Detail and Accuracy are Extremely Important
- All colors are available in packs of 1, 3, 6, 12 or assorted.
I had been looking for a pen that could write on any surface and thought I would give this one a go – I was not disappointed! The pens work beautifully on plastic, wood, paper, glass and any other surface you can think of. They make drawing easier and more enjoyable because you don’t have to worry about being the right surface to draw on.
Overall, these pens are a great investment for anyone who likes to draw on different surfaces.
I would definitely recommend these pens.
Additional info that may be of use:
What to look for when buying permanent paint markers for plastic surfaces
Not all permanent marker pens will write directly upon plastic without smearing or fading later on. Not only does the marker have to successfully write on plastic but the ink must also stick to its surface and can’t be wiped in the blink of an eye.
This situation requires the most vital requirement that their permanent ink does not leave smells. The hassle to use a permanent ink will make a majority of customers lose interest.
The ink flow should have the ability to promote sufficient ink flow to avoid the waste of time by having the user rewrite multiple times or clean the leakage.
You may have to test the writing capability of a permanent marker on such items as water bottles, silicone pacifiers playground toys, camping gear, camping.
How do I write on plastic permanently?
Plastic is not as absorbent as paper or canvas therefore it may take time before the ink is completely dried. You cannot wait to let the printed plastic surface be exposed to external influences (weather pressure etc.)
The first rule of this process is to wait. If desired the surface of the plastic can be dry in direct sunlight for a specific duration with a hot hairdryer.
By using an additional drying system you will likely have written and painted artwork retaining their appearance. I propose you rewrite on this surface after quite a while especially for outdoor applications.
Why do people use permanent paint markers?
A permanent marker is an effective choice for practically all surfaces and they have a good working relationship.
They deliver highly reflective colors that last longer than most other colors and can sometimes be used in coloring.
Imagine using crayons for tattoos. Although the ink is non-toxic don’t waste your life just having fun!
We hope you now have a better understanding of what to look for when buying a permanent marker and how to use them.
From the many different types of marker brand, ink sets available, we recommend looking for those that are made with non-toxic ink, which is important if your intended usage includes kids or pets.
We also recommend testing out your chosen marker on an assortment of surfaces before purchasing it to test for what’s important to you.
Whether that is waterproof ink, the ink bleeding, brush tips, broad tips, smear-proof, smudge-proof, alcohol-based ink, quick-drying ink, ink that can go onto flower pots or canvas shoes, low odor, line width or simply a matte finish – this will give you a good idea as to whether or not it’s right for your needs and can help ensure that you don’t end up wasting any money on something you’ll never be able to use effectively!
I hope this article has been of use to you, and remember to share this post so that others can learn about the best permanent art pens for plastic! Thanks for stopping by.
Do permanent paint markers work on plastic surfaces?
Yes. Most permanent markers do work on many types of plastic surfaces, including HPM, PVC, Polyethylene and Polypropylene.
Some permanent markers even work on rubber, vinyl and coated paper.
What are the best markers for a plastic surface?
Different markers work better on different surfaces and applications, so it’s important to do your research first.
Many artists choose Sharpie brand markers as the best permanent marker for their needs because they are available in a variety of tip sizes, colors and textures and will work on most surfaces.
Other ones may well work better on other surfaces so be sure to try out your art supplies to ensure the perfect fit.
What can I use to permanently write on a plastic surface?
There are many products you can use to write on plastic. A permanent marker is one option and works best on some surfaces.
You can also purchase spray paint, or try using a rotary engraver or stencils and scratch tools – depending on the type of plastic, the application and your needs.
What brand of permanent paint markers is the most permanent?
Sharpie markers tend to be the most permanent marker on the market and often work on most surfaces.
They are available in a variety of colors and tip sizes, which makes them useful for many applications.
However, it’s important to note that different plastic types require different kinds of markers or tools – research is key!
Not all permanent markers are equal…
This is true, not every permanent marker is equal. To find the best permanent marker for your needs, know what you’re looking for.
The type of plastic material and color will determine which colors and types of markers you should use. Sharpie markers tend to be the most permanent, but there are specific applications where other brands may work better.
You may come into contact with other terms when researching permanent markers. These could include sharpie oil-based markers, sharpie extreme permanent markers, pigmented ink, oil-based permanent marker for plastic, oil-based paint markers, bic permanent markers, non-toxic permanent marker, wet and oily surfaces, fine tip, plastic cups permanently, only a handful, art supplies, alcohol-based ink, bullet tip, plastic tumblers, other surfaces, water-resistant, professional artists, same time, cotton ball, ultimately fade, categories post navigation leave, color label, hand lettering, matte finish, mod podge
Written By Adam Rushton
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adams media outlets, a wealth of knowledge, and experience enable him to consult and advise artists and illustrators in this country (from York and Manchester to Southampton and London) and all over the world.