Best Markers for Glass .
A Guide to Decorative Writing on Glass
Glass markers are a popular choice for various projects and tasks such as writing on glass surfaces as an artistic outlet and practical solution has been very popular for years.
What should I keep in mind while looking for the best glass markers?
It’s a must for both professional and home users to know exactly what to look for. Learn precisely how to use them and how to ensure that they’re ok for your job.
What to Look Out for When Buying The Best Glass Marker
It’s worth emphasizing that not all markers are intended for glass and that not all glass markers are permanent. Your choice of marker will be determined by the sort of job you’re working on, the project’s goal, and the type of finish you desire.
The first thing you’ll consider when buying a glass marker is whether the product is labeled for “writing” or “drawing” on glass and whether or not it has a permanent or non-permanent finish.
Disclaimer – This website contains affiliate links. If you find the information useful and click on a product link and make a purchase, a small commission will be earned by Big Red Illustration
Best markers for a glass surface:
01) Ratel Paint Pens
Waterproof, 18 Colors Premium Permanent Oil-Based Markers, Quick-Drying Art Painting Pen Set for Stone/Design/Plastic/DIY Albums/Paper, Non Toxic – Super Coverage
About this item
- WATERPROOF & TEMPORARY MARKING: Oil-based markers , opaque and indelible ink is fast-drying and smear and fade resistant. The paint finish will be brilliant and vibrant, with no fading over time. It’s great for painting on metal to avoid metal corrosion.
- RICH & BRIGHT COLORS: Acrylic pen set includes 12 bright, basic hues, including two metallic colors: silver and gold. They can be used to fill in any space and cover almost all of your artistic demands. Metal, ceramic, stone, black paper, wood, cloth, plastic, glass and other surfaces are all acceptable.
- INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE: Paint markers are safe for indoor or outdoor use.
- Waterproof paint pen utilizes OIL-BASED, environmentally friendly pigment inks that are non-toxic and odorless. They can be used on any surface.
These Ratel oil-based paint markers can be used on a variety of surfaces, ranging from glass to paper.
These paint pens have a medium point for detailing and creating clear, bold lines. They also have a quick drying time so you don’t have to wait before moving on to the next step of your project.
The ink is opaque with a sheen that resists fading, water and abrasions. It is removable from glass as well as being designed to stand out on both light and dark surfaces.
There are many ways to use these glass markers in order to create beautiful artwork. As well as glass you can also use them with rocks for example and as these pens are wider than most similar pens they don’t dry out as quickly.
02) Arteza Dry Erase Markers for Glass Boards
Pack of 18, 10 Classic and 8 Neon Colors with Low-Odor Ink, Erasable Window Markers, Whiteboard Markers, Office Supplies for Glass, Mirrors, Whiteboards and Non-Porous Surfaces
About this item
- 10 vivid unique colors and 8 bright neon colors that are sure to catch everyone’s attention, whether you’re creating a whiteboard presentation for work or decorating your class’ windows.
- Glass Paint Markers – These dry erase markers for glass boards write easily and are washable on glass and mirrors, but they may also be used to write on non-porous surfaces in the home, office, or school, including dry, erase boards.
- You never have to waste a marker again thanks to Replaceable Tips for Glass Markers. When the tip wears down with this handy tool you have 18 dry erase markers replaceable tips included in each set.
You’ll have plenty to choose from with 10 distinct bright hues and 8 brilliant neon ones. With these smooth-writing, washable glass paint markers, you may decorate your home’s windows for the holidays, express your team spirit on your vehicle, or create stunning diagrams and color-coded presentations at work. Simply shake well before using them.
Each water-based and odorless glass marker is safe to use in the classroom or office. Without any concern of bothersome strong scents, these water-based and low-odor glass markers are ideal for use in schools. Simply shake, pump the tip on a hard surface, and you’re ready to create or write with them.
Unlike a lot of other markers, this kit also comes with 18 replaceable tips which help you save money. Don’t throw away the dry erase markers just because of a worn-down tip.
Simply use the tweezer that comes with the set to remove the old tip and replace it with a fresh one.
I love these markers. They are so much more vibrant and rich compared to other brands I’ve used, making it so easy to read, irrespective of the color you are using. They wipe off very easily as well.
03) The Rainbow, Glass Liquid Paint Marker Set
Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, White 5 Pack Jumbo – Glass Writing Pens and Painting Markers with Washable, Erasable Ink
About this item
- PAINTERS MARKERS: Create a rainbow of long-lasting colors on any glass surface.
- ART PENS FOR GLASSES, BATHROOM MIRROR ART, WINDOW PANES, MARKER BOARDS, AND MORE.
- EVERY OCCASION: Indoor and outdoor pens for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, and weddings
- GLASS TIP MARKERS: 5 bright hues of glass tip markers, with reversible 5mm or 15mm wide jumbo nibs.
- NON-TOXIC, WATER-BASED INK: The advanced formula is non-toxic and safe to use around people and enclosed spaces.
These do exactly what they’re supposed to do. Bright vibrant colors that last through rain and even snow for weeks and if required it also comes off easily with glass cleaner – they work great.
Good quality at an affordable price.
04) Shuttle Art Permanent Markers
30, Fine Point, Assorted Colors, Work on Glass, Plastic, Wood, Stone and Metal.
About this item
- COLOR VARIETY: The Shuttle Art marker set comes with 30 distinct hues. Eye-catching, vibrant effects may be achieved using each versatile fine tip pen and rich colors.
- USES: Shuttle Art markers are great for making detailed markings, drawing, writing, coloring, scrapbooking, doodling, filling in paper, plastic (and other non-porous surfaces), and most other surfaces.
- Permanent markers with long-lasting vivid, quick-drying ink are waterproof, smear-proof, and fade-resistant.
- NON-TOXIC, ACID-FREE: The Shuttle Art markers meet ASTM D- 4236 and EN71 standards. CAUTION: Suitable for Children 3 years old or older.
These are basically everything you’d expect when ordering cheap permanent markers for coloring books.
These are not bad, but they’re not comparable to other artist-quality markers.
There are a good varied selection of colors but don’t expect the quality of a Copic, as what you pay for is what you get.
They lack in vibrancy and tend to run out / dry out quickly.
You get a lot of pens for your money but quantity isn’t necessarily quality.
05) Emooqi Permanent Paint Pens
18 Pack Oil-Based Painting Marker Pen Set for Rocks Painting, Wood, Fabric, Plastic, Canvas, Write on Glass / Wine Glasses, Mugs, DIY Craft, Waterproof, Write On Anything
About this item
- High-quality Oil-Based Opaque and Non-Toxic Permanent Ink: The paint will be bright and vibrant thanks to high-quality oil-based opaque and non-toxic permanent ink that may be used on any art surface. These markers write effectively on paper, fabric, metal, stone, marble, rubber, ceramic, wood, glass, wine glasses and plastic.
- COLORFUL PAINT PENS: Using these high-quality paint pens (Metallic), you can create a wonderful piece of artwork (Metallic): Black, Red, Blue, Green, Gold (Metallic), Silver (Metallic), Yellow, White, Pink, Orange and Purple. For both novices and experts.
- Non-toxic and SAFE: Emooqi paint pen uses OIL-BASED environmentally friendly pigment inks, which are NON-TOXIC AND ODORLESS, SUM-PROOF, water-proof, quick-drying, NO LEAKAGE, with strong covering power.
- Each paint marker pen is placed in a separate heat shrink wrap to prevent leaking during shipping and storage. Regardless of the complexity or difficulty of your project, these high-quality marker pens will ensure a great result.
These markers are of superior quality and more reasonably priced than any other brand I’ve tried.
It’s not difficult to use them either; you just press the nib a few times and the excellent ink will flow.
They’re useful on just about any surface and the finished product is bright, with a good thickness for both small areas and broad surfaces.
I’m a big fan of these markers and the company in general.
06) Crayola Washable Window Crayons
Pack of 8 washable, quick-drying crayons
About this item
- WINDOW MARKERS: Features 8 Washable Markers for use on any glass surface, plus mylar, frames, mirrors, and more
- COLORS AVAILABLE WITH CRAYOLA: Each Window Marker has bright, strong pigment to make your designs stand out.
- WINTER WINDOW DECORATING: Winter window decorating with great art supplies.
- CAR WINDOW WRITING: Excellent for creating personalized drawings or messages on car windows.
- WASHABLE MARKERS: Washing out of skin and most washable clothes is simple.
These are excellent, low-cost marker crayons, perfect for children to colour on glass!
They glide smoothly on with fabulous appealing colors and a tiny bit of Windex is sufficient enough to remove the marks from the glass once you’re ready to remove them. (Wet-wipes are equally as effective).
These would make a fantastic stocking filler or a great gift for that matter, all year round.
07) GAINWELL Washable Wine Glass Markers
Pack of 8 Food-Safe Non-Toxic Wine Glass Marker Pens – Can also be used on Ceramic Plates and other Glass and Dinnerware
About this item
- A SIMPLE, PERFECT SOLUTION TO LOST DRINKS – never lose or misplace your drink again with this wine glass marker. So no more problems of accidentally drinking your friend’s wine!
- WASHABLE GAINWELL WINE GLASS MARKERS – fast dry, no smear, non-toxic food-safe ink pens that don’t get in the way like wine charms do.
- The SET OF 8 DIFFERENT VIBRANT COLORS – Gold, Silver, Red, Blue, Green, Pink, Purple and Dark Silver – washes cleanly away after the party is finished!
- A wonderful addition to any event – with bright and vibrant colors, a great way to decorate the table, as well as for birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, and any other ceremony. It can also be used on ceramic plates, wine bottles, and other dinnerware.
These high-quality markers are a great, safe alternative to the charms you usually associate with wine glasses.
Specifically designed to add a fun twist to your party these wine glass markers are easy to use.
Simply write the guest’s name on their glass or plate and they’ll never lose their drink or food again!
And then at the end of the night, as they’re only a temporary glass marker, just pop into the dishwasher or wipe with damp cloth or soap and water, and they are good to use again!
They come in a variety of 8 vibrant colors giving more than enough choice and more importantly this glass marker set is non-toxic.
You can also use the markers on bathroom or hallway windows, most other glass surfaces so use your imagination and get creative.
08) Artistro Metallic Colors, Paint Pens
Bright Colors For Rock Painting, Stone, Ceramic, Wine Glass Painting, Wood, Fabric, Pebbles, Scrapbook Journals, Photo Albums, Card Stocks. Set of 12 Acrylic Paint Pens Extra-Fine Point 0.7mm
About this item
- Artistro metallic pens use vivid, acrylic inks that dry fast to produce a highly durable opague and glossy finish on almost all surfaces.
- Ideal for both light and dark surfaces: These metallic colors stand out on both light and dark surfaces due to the bright acrylic ink used.
- Great metallic for drawing, writing on glass, fine line work & detailed DIY projects. Personalize gifts for your friends and family.
- Writes on most surfaces: Metallic paint pens for acrylic painting on paper, cardstock, rocks, stone, porcelain, plastic, fabric, metal, wood, ceramics, wine glass and other surfaces allow you to make your beautiful masterpieces. Ideal for glass painting.
- Metallic marker pens are odorless and non-toxic, according to the ASTM D-4236 standard. Although non-toxic, do not allow contact with food.
I’ve used lots of costly markers over the years, and these have far exceeded my expectations.
Each glass marker is individually packaged and comes with comprehensive user instructions. The metallic colors are bright and brilliant, while the pens require little effort and glide so easily.
Using them to write on glass jars (and wine glass too) worked really well and the color produced by these rich metallic markers was excellent
I have to say this is one of the best brands I’ve come across recently and one of the best markers to write with.
09) EraDyna Acrylic Paint Pens for Arts and Craft.
Art Set of 18 Water-based Permanent Markers for Glass Paint. Marker Pens for Ceramic, Canvas, Wood and Rock Painting – Medium Dual-Tip Paint Pens.
About this item
- A Great Selection of Markers to Choose From: A perfectly combined Set of 18 Vibrant Colors, Water-based Permanent Marker Pens for your Crafts and DIY projects. Our Acrylic Pen provides a smooth, glossy, and radiant finish to your creative ideas, transforming them into masterpieces. Paint Markers are intended to produce work of professional quality.
- The erasable dual-tipped EraDyna Marker Pens have 3-5mm slender tips, one of which is a chisel and the other, round-shaped. For simple swapping, you’ll get a tweezer. These markers will allow you to create intricate details in your artwork while also being used for thick and thin crafting
- This set may be used on a variety of surfaces. The EraDyna Acrylic Paint Set may be utilized on a variety of surfaces, including stones, pebbles, canvas, paper, wood, glass, plastic fabrics, metal locations and more. Our Markers Pens Set can help you create your Gift Bags, Coffee Mugs, Diaries etc.
- The Most Popular Colors, Durable and Fast Drying: The EraDyna Rock Painting Kit is only available in a limited number of hues. Our Paint Pen features vivid, water-based ink that dries quickly to produce an extremely durable opaque and glossy finish. These waterproof pens are simple to utilize and allow you to express your creative and artistic designs.
- EraDyna Permanent Marker Pens are safe and environmentally friendly for adults and children. Our Paint Markers set is non-toxic odorless, making it an ideal choice for professional artists and art students. It’s also a great alternative for teaching little ones about creative fun art projects.
I’m a big fan of the quality of these markers. They’re just as good as any other named brand of permanent marker.
All were well-inked, and a nice feature that allows you to change between chisel and bullet tips. Flowed nicely when writing, with nice colors.
I’ve now used them on glass, plastic, leather and paper so far and I’m really pleased with the results.
Overall, a fantastic value for money set of markers. Very good quality from EraDyna and should suit most people’s needs.
10) Posca Colouring – PC-5M – Pack of 10 Markers
About this item
- This POSCA set is their 10 Best-Selling 5M markers.
- The 5M’s bullet tip nib offers more line control, allowing the user to use the finer and thicker ranges of its 1.8-2.5mm nib.
- Writes on metal, glass, plastic, stone, textiles, terra-cotta, porcelain and many other materials – virtually any surface.
- This kit includes one of each of the following pens: Black, White, Pink, Red, Yellow, Green, Light Blue, Blue, Gold, and Silver.
This product has high-quality ink that is fade-resistant, so your work will last without looking worn.
Furthermore, Posca markers use quality pigment ink that flows smoothly. The markers lay down vivid colors that are bright and eye-catching, creating bold lines, producing bolder lettering for your glass painting.
Due to its versatile bullet-shaped nib, you can achieve precision results with smooth lines on almost any surface.
Finally, there are 10 different colors in the set, giving you a variety of options for artistic expression.
Posca is useful for many creative applications like drawing, crafting, painting and more! You can use them on almost any surface including paper, cardboard, wood etc, meaning they are great for coloring, drawing and are one of the best markers to write with.
Overall another great set of markers to try out.
Things to consider:
When buying markers for glass, one must consider the price of the marker. The best markers for glass are not only the ones that are highly-priced. What matters is that the marker provides quality work. Low-quality markers for glass may cause drying out of colors, chipping or flaking off of paint and overall poor blending as well as streaking. When buying the best markers for glass, consider those that have pigment-like qualities to ensure a smooth paint job. These markers for glass work well with other mediums too.
How the marker handles
A good marker should be comfortable and easy to use and should be able to provide a smooth painting experience. The best markers for glass paint smooth lines and allow the user to cover wide or small surfaces. It should have an even tip that allows proper control on the stroke of color being laid by the marker.
Shape, style and size of the nib
Markers come in a variety of shapes, styles and sizes of nib.
A good marker should have an even-length tip that is not too chunky or too narrow.
Some markers have a rounded edge while others have a pointed edge. The shape and size of the nib give a different effect in projects so it is best to be familiar with the different types of shape, style and size of nib to be able to know which is best suited for certain tasks.
Some markers have a body that is designed to allow the user’s fingers to be stabilized while others are designed with an ergonomic feel to them.
Leaking marker pens are awful to use on glass. A good marker should not only be able to provide quality color, it should also be designed to be leak proof and prevent leakage.
One way of checking if the glass pen marker is well-designed in this aspect is by testing a few drops of water on its tip, whether that be chisel tip, durable bullet tip or any type of erase markers.
If the ink spreads out and looks patchy, then the marker does not work well with glass.
Ink drying time
Another important factor is the drying time of your marker pen. You would not want to deal with smeared ink on your marker job.
A good marker for glass should be able to dry up with one coat so that there is no spread of color and the entire surface is just smooth and solid.
Sometimes, this can mean that you have to wait a little longer than usual for your marker pen’s ink to dry up.
There are markers that allow for immediate rework of wet lines so if you want to have more freedom in your marker job, look for a marker with this feature.
Drying times will vary depending on whether you’re working on a non-porous surface or porous surfaces.
Do I buy ink or paint markers?
The two different mediums offer different effects when applied to glass. Ink markers are used for tracing or filling in shapes while paint markers are used for coloring solid areas of the project.
If you plan on using marker pens in your next creative project, it may be best to buy both kinds in order to have the right marker that will give you the effect that you want in your piece.
Variety of colors
Depending on your project, check the variety of colors available in your marker.
If you are creating a glass mural, you might need many colors to make it beautiful and stand out among other projects.
For this purpose, look for markers that have a wide range of different colors that you can experiment with.
If it is that only one or two are required, then smaller sets will of course be an option.
Water-resistant finishes for glass
Water-resistant finishes are also important for glass projects.
A good marker for glass should be able to dry upright after application even if there is wet paint used.
This feature will allow you to create a nice, clean finish in your project without worrying about color smearing or mix up with other colors that were applied beforehand.
It also allows for reworking on wet lines.
Another important factor to consider is the ability of the color to resist fading.
The main purpose of a marker for glass projects is to make sure that there is no smearing and fading of colors is therefore not recommended as this would defeat the whole objective.
Make sure that your marker can provide quality, non-fading colors.
Look out for terms such as lightfast or archival inside the marker packaging as this will be a good indication as to how long the color will last on the surface.
Do I use alcohol or water-based markers?
Most glass markers or paint pens contain pigments that are suspended in either water or alcohol, which dry out after application and aids in the overall drying process.
Alcohol markers are more durable, last longer, but dry more slowly than water-based ones. With that said, acrylic glass markers, are water-based, quick-drying, but are generally permanent too.
Another distinction between the two alternatives is the color mixing capabilities.
Water-based markers are normally non-permanent, erasable, and washable, whilst alcohol are permanent.
Dishwasher safe markers
Always check to see if your markers are dishwasher-safe, and if not, whether the items you wish to paint with this ink should be hand-washed.
When buying a glass marker or painting pen, be sure to read all instructions and take note of all warnings.
Ink Opacity and quality
Ink quality when painting on glass, is a very important factor, as it can affect the appearance of your finished project.
The quality of the ink will determine how clear and life-like the colors are, as well as how vibrant they look against the glass surface.
Once again opacity and quality will vary depending on whether you’re working on a non-porous surface or porous surfaces.
Do I use permanent or erasable ink?
This all depends on the final usage of the glass that is to be painted.
Permanent ink is better for indoor decorative pieces, items that will be displayed frequently, and even to make handmade invitations.
Erasable ink is better for items that will be used frequently, such as a set of wine glasses that can be written on whenever someone has a birthday.
Water-based glass markers can easily be wiped off and cleaned if they dry out on the surface, whereas other markers using permanent paints will remain and are difficult or cannot be removed after they have dried onto the glass.
The Best Markers For Glass:
Using markers on glass surfaces
It’s a fun and gratifying experience to write or draw on glass. Glass, though, is a one-of-a-kind material with its own set of difficulties.
One of the main things to keep in mind whilst writing on glass is that it is considerably more slippery than paper, rock, or wood.
To keep the pen steady whilst moving the tip along the glass surface, more control is required.
Here are some tips and tricks when painting or writing on glass
Using a glass marker or painting pen is somewhat different from writing or drawing on paper.
Because glass is non-porous, the paint’s or ink’s adhesion might be an issue. As a result, the first step is to thoroughly clean your glass surface using a glass cleaner, rubbing alcohol, or vinegar.
After you’ve finished cleaning, use latex gloves when handling the glass thing to prevent your skin’s natural oils from rubbing off onto the surface.
Before using most glass markers and paint pens, they must be shaken and in some situations, the nib may need to be pressed down on to release the color.
Make sure you do everything according to the product instructions.
…and now how to paint or write on glass permanently
Number 1… make sure your marker is permanent!
Another good habit to get used to doing is allowing at least eight hours for your item to dry before using or handling it.
You might want to seal your painted surface or object for a variety of reasons too, including to prevent fading, abrasion, and water resistance. You can choose from a number of options for this.
You may decide to seal your glass goods by baking them or using a specific sealant that can be used without baking.
For ceramic items, it may be that you paint two or three coats of transparent ceramic paint over the painted surface and allow four hours between coats, then bake the item in an oven.
When baking your project in the oven, be sure to verify that the product label on your paint pen states that the paint or ink is safe for baking and that you follow all instructions carefully.
Please note: if you’re baking glass or ceramic goods, it’s essential to put them in a cold oven first and then set the temperature for baking. This way, the cold glass will reach the required temperature at the same time as the oven.
And then always allow the oven and the product to cool gradually after turning it off and only opening the door once both oven and glass have settled back at room temperature.
Sealants are either applied with a brush or sprayed on. Which you use is just personal preference and entirely up to the individual.
And always ensure you read any instructions that come with the products you’re using as they will differ between brands and products.
A brush-on sealant is similar to varnish and should be applied in a back-and-forth, methodical strokes. Apply two or three coats, wait one hour between each layer, and then wait another 24 hours after sealing has finished.
The recommended procedure for using a spray-on sealant is to apply it in four or five layers, with a wait of 15 minutes between coats. The sealed item or surface should be fully dry after 24 hours.
How Long Do Glass Markers Last?
When used properly, a glass marker can last for years.
If you use the marker on a regular basis and it becomes dried out, shake the pen to re-liquify the paint.
If this doesn’t work, gently twist the tip of the marker to release more color into it.
What’s The Best Way To Store Glass Markers?
To prolong the life of your glass marker, store it in a cool, dry place away from extreme temperatures and light.
Does Acrylic Paint Work Well On Glass?
Yes, acrylic paint is a good choice for glass. Read our full article about the best acrylic paint for glass here.
However, keep in mind that it can be difficult to remove once it’s applied so be careful when decorating windows for example.
Some brands may have difficulty sticking so make sure you test on sample pieces before committing to a final project.
How To Prime A Paint Marker
When you first use a paint pen, or if it has been unused for a time, you must prime it. All you need to do is give the pen a good shake in most cases.
Some have a little ball inside to aid in the mixing. Once you’ve done this, press down on the nib while keeping your fingers firmly away from the paint surface; this will prevent the paint from pooling.
It’s better to prime your paint pen on a scrap piece of paper rather than on your actual painting surface.
Can Mod Podge Be Used To Seal Glass Painted With Paint Markers?
Yes, it can. You might find that you need to use a couple of coats and will need to allow sufficient time between each one for the first coat to fully dry before applying the second coat.
Sealing paint with mod podge also works well on porous surfaces (rock) as well as non-porous surfaces (wine glasses)
Written By Adam Rushton
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adams media outlets, a wealth of knowledge, and experience enable him to consult and advise artists and illustrators in this country (from York and Manchester to Southampton and London) and all over the world.