Best Pencil Sharpener For Colored Pencils
- Best Pencil Sharpener For Colored Pencils
- Not every colored pencil sharpener was born equal…
- 01) Bostitch SuperPro 6 Commercial Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 02) Dahle 77 Manual Pencil Sharpener
- 03) AFMAT Artist Pencil Sharpener
- 04) School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener
- 05) Bostitch Electric Pencil Sharpener
- General Information About The Best Pencil Sharpener For Colored Pencils
- Conclusion / Roundup
Not every colored pencil sharpener was born equal…
The definition of a pencil sharpener might vary from person to person depending on whether they use sharpeners as a student in school or if they are artists and using it for technical purposes. Whatever the purpose might be, the general idea for using a sharpener is the same. And that is to make your blunt and gloomy color pencil as sharp as a tack to brighten your artwork and sheets.
There was a time when even the basic small sharpeners were not available and artists used sharp pointing knives to get the job done. While some artists still prefer this traditional way, you do not have to brush up your pencils like a caveman in this day and age. To help you maintain the health and longevity of your pencils, I will be talking to you about the humble (and also the not so humble) colored pencil sharpener.
Technological advancements have brought different types of colored pencil sharpeners into the market. While still keeping manual systems intact, there are new battery-operated and electric pencil sharpeners available.
With distinct operating modules, shapes, and sizes it might become a bit confusing to choose the colored pencil sharpener suitable for you.
Hopefully, by the end of this article, my thorough reviews and counsel will assist you in finding the best sharpener whether it’s an electric pencil sharpener or simply just an ordinary one.
Disclaimer – This website contains affiliate links. If you find the information useful and click on a product link and make a purchase, a small commission will be earned by Big Red Illustration
01) Bostitch SuperPro 6 Commercial Electric Pencil Sharpener
6-Holes, Black/Silver, 75% faster sharpening and 12x longer cutter life
- Sharpening is 75% faster, and cutter life is 12 times longer.
- Includes QuietSharp fan-cooled motor with thermal power supply protection that allows for silent, stall-free operation for colored pencils.
- When the huge, easy-to-clean shavings bin is emptied, a tamper-proof protective switch turns down the motor.
- The Tip Saver Technology avoids over-sharpening and prolongs the life of the colored pencils.
- For greater stability, there’s a one-hand simple selection dial and an enlarged, die-cast metal base.
Dual cutters and a heavy-duty engine are used in this high-capacity electric pencil sharpener for the toughest applications.
The built-in fan keeps the motor cool so it may be used for longer periods of time. The thermal overload switch turns off the motor before it overheats and then turns it back on when it cools down.
Auto-stop protects colored pencils from being over sharpened. When the receptacle is withdrawn, the safety switch prevents the cutters from rotating. The pencil sharpener comes with a 6-foot power wire.
It is certified by the UL and CSA.
Overall, this is one of the best colored pencil sharpeners that will stand up to years of usage with colored pencils but it would have been better to have the option of purchasing replacement blades. Needless to say, it is still one of the best electric pencil sharpeners to keep your art supplies stacked.
A high-capacity, transparent shavings reservoir shortens the time between emptying, and a MagnaSafe tamper-proof protective switch prevents the sharpener from operating while the reservoir is emptied. An enormous die-cast metal foundation with suction cup feet ensures sturdiness and rigidity on any desk or table, while the SuperPro 6 can handle 6 different pencil sizes.
In my opinion, this electric pencil sharpener is much better than maped handheld pencil sharpeners or hand-crank sharpener to sharpen your art pencils.
02) Dahle 77 Manual Pencil Sharpener
For Pencil Diameter up to 12 mm, Grey
- Robust build with lightweight design.
- Safety clamp included.
- The transparent shavings tray allows you to see how much it has filled inside.
- The pencil point and cutting stop are adjustable.
- Can fit pencils up to 12mm.
Dahle sharpeners are the gold standard when it comes to sharpening. Dahle devices are used all over the world, and range from craft guillotines, paper trimmers, and scalpels to precise pencil and crayon sharpening.
It reflects German engineering at its best.
The Dahle 77 Pencil Sharpener for Pencil Diameter up to 12 mm Grey is unique in its design and performance. The concern regarding the plastic parts here should not worry most users like the overall build and quality of the sharpener is very good.
Unlike most manual sharpeners, this one has a good sharpener adjuster. Nothing complicated just a little switch-like component on the side. One complaint that I often hear regarding manual pencil sharpeners is that they come in closed compartments and it becomes tough to see how much waste is gathering inside.
With the Dahle 77 Manual Pencil Sharpener that isn’t the case. The Dahle professional pencil sharpener will give you the raw feeling of using a manual pencil sharpener along with the comfort of using a new pencil sharpener for your art supplies.
03) AFMAT Artist Pencil Sharpener
Charcoal Pencil Sharpener, Long Point Pencil Sharpener, Art Pencil Sharpener for 6-9.6mm Large Pencils. Rechargeable, Blue
- Marketed especially to artists, Afmat colored pencil sharpener allows the user to sharpen pencils up to 9.6 mm.
- Dual size long point makes it possible to share 6-9.6 mm pencils.
- Adjustable pencil points mean the sharpness of the pencil nib is adjusted according to the user’s preference.
- Afmat electric sharpener will stop automatically after the pencil is sharpened.
- Long-lasting battery.
It’s one of the best sharpeners being marketed towards artists and packs distinctive features and the AFMAT Artist Electric Sharpener ticks all those boxes quite well.
The battery on this packs heavy and is easy to charge as well. Even though you cannot use it while charging, a quick reload of 5 to 10 minutes gets the job done. I believe this is safer as well as it prevents accidents. This way you are aware of when it is turned on and all you need to do is put your pencil in for sharpening.
Most artists who use sharpeners like these tend to use graphite pencils. This is why I used similar pencils while testing it and I can assure you that it handled them excellently.
However, I would suggest you keep your pencils lubricated from time to time. Pastels will ruin the life of this sharpener, so refrain from that.
In conclusion. this sharpener does all the things right and not much wrong. Whatever type of color pencils you put inside it can handle it with ease. The rechargeable and built-in USB charging option is a real pointer in making your purchase.
I would highly recommend this.
04) School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener
Electric Pencil Sharpeners, Alloy Steel
- Superfast sharpening motor.
- The nonskid rubber pads make it easy to use on the table and stay stable.
- Sleek and compact design.
- Large savings compartment that is easy to take on and off.
- Long and a solid tip prevent the pencils from weakening out.
Modern electric sharpeners these days tend to have boxy complicated designs. The School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener is however the opposite and has a design perfect for formal and official use.
Instead of multiple holes, it has one single hole that is large enough for all types of color pencils. You can even use it with graphite pencils.
As far as electric colored pencil sharpeners go, the shavings compartment on this model is big and transparent so you do not have to worry about extra waste.
Rather than boasting unnecessary promises, this fulfills the little things well. It does the basics of power, sharpness, and durability all in one.
It performs consistently well and can handle anything you throw at it. It won’t choke under any sort of pressure. Even though the motor can get a bit loud at times, that can be overlooked based on its performance.
05) Bostitch Electric Pencil Sharpener
HHC cutter technology for longer life
- The cutter design used here is of next-generation technology when compared to manual sharpeners and provides durability to the blades.
- Powerful motor ensures performance, unlike any manual sharpener.
- Easy setup process.
- It is compact so it won’t take up a lot of space on your desk.
- Has a lot of safety options that give the user a secure experience.
The Bostitch Electric Pencil Sharpener is super easy to use which makes it ranked among the best pencil sharpeners. This is the epitome of ideal eclectic sharpeners these days and it matches all the requirements perfectly.
Starting from the build quality, performance and pricing, every single thing has been well thought out and sought out here for your colored pencil needs.
Bostitch is well known for making some of the best stationery products out there. Their pencil sharpeners are one of their best selling products and this particular model sells the most.
With raving reviews everywhere and a price suitable for most, I decided to test this out and every single thing impressed me.
General Information About The Best Pencil Sharpener For Colored Pencils
If you are an artist or a teacher who needs to keep their pencils sharpened at all times then you very well know the importance of having a good sharpener. However, you will be surprised to know of the huge amount of individuals who need a sharpener but are not aware of it. I had written this article for both of these types of users. To make things easier here are a few things that will assist you in making your purchase:
- Identify the fit of the colored pencil. Make out which size and type of pencils you use the most and buy your sharpener accordingly to it.
- Let the sharpener do its job because you spinning your pencil while it is inside will ruin the sharpener as well as your machine.
- It might seem fun at first, but over-sharpening your pencils will reduce their life expectancy.
- Always maintain your sharpener and keep it clean.
Conclusion / Roundup
In conclusion, sharpeners are a blessing for color pencils as the days of ruining your beloved drawing gear are over. There is still a lot of stigma surrounding the use of sharpeners amongst veteran artists, but I personally believe that if any piece of gear makes your life easier and saves you money then you should definitely check it out.
All in all, all the sharpeners that I have talked about have been thoroughly tested and no matter which one you get you will receive a good performance from it.
1. Are pencil sharpeners safe?
The manual ones are absolutely safe. However, if you are using electronic sharpeners for colored pencils then it is advised you keep it locked at all times and unlock it before you use it.
2. Do electric sharpeners get damaged very soon?
No, if you buy something from a well-reputed brand and maintain it from time to time then it will keep itself intact for a long time.
3. Will spending so much on a sharpener be worth it?
Investing in a high-quality sharpener will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. Whether that be one of the electric colored pencils sharpeners or one of the more regular pencil sharpeners for colored pencils
4. Is the prismacolor premier pencil sharpener any good?
There’s a lot of debate over whether the Prismacolor Premier pencil sharpener is good or not. Some people swear by it, while others find it unsatisfactory.
One thing that’s for sure is that this sharpener is less expensive than many mentioned in the article above. It retails for around £15 / $20, which is significantly cheaper than other sharpeners on the market.
So is it worth the money? That depends on your needs and preferences. If you’re someone who likes to use Prismacolor colored pencils and wants a sharpener that can handle them well, then the Premier sharpener is a good option. However, if you’re not a fan of Prismacolor pencils or don’t need a sharpener that’s specifically designed for them, there are alternatives that will do the job just as well.
In compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume the following about all links, posts, photos and other material on this website: Any/all of the links on this website are affiliate links of which The Big Red Illustration Agency receives a small commission from sales of certain items, but the price is the same for you. www.bigredillustrationagency.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk. Pages on this site may include links to Amazon and its affiliate sites on which the owner of this website will make a referral commission.
Written By Adam Rushton
Adam has made a name for himself in the illustration industry and is a passionate blogger and writer on the subject of art, illustration and graphic design.
His artwork has been featured in countless publications and used for very well-known media projects. As a professional illustrator for over 20 years, Adams media outlets, a wealth of knowledge, and experience enable him to consult and advise artists and illustrators in this country (from York and Manchester to Southampton and London) and all over the world.